Founded in 1919, the Plymouth Antiquarian Society is Plymouth’s largest organization dedicated to preserving historic houses and landmarks. We serve as Plymouth’s historical society – the gateway to our community’s post-Pilgrim history.
The Society owns and maintains three historic houses representing three centuries of Plymouth history: the 1677 Harlow House, the 1749 Spooner House, and the 1809 Hedge House, as well as an ancient Native American site, Sacrifice Rock. Guided tours of our historic homes are available seasonally or by appointment; they tell the story of everyday life in Plymouth from the mid-1600s to the present, with period rooms featuring early American furnishings and domestic artifacts.
We offer a full calendar of special events and programs on local history and encourage community engagement with the past. With over 400 active members, we invite anyone with an interest in our mission to join us.
To collect, preserve, and interpret historic houses and artifacts and to use these resources to tell the story of everyday life in Plymouth and New England from the mid-seventeenth century to the present through programs, exhibitions, and other activities.
To serve as an educational resource on Plymouth history after the Pilgrim era and to encourage public awareness and understanding of the local past.
We are a welcoming Society that encourages the cultivation of meaningful relationships within the community through engagement with the past. We believe in the power of personal and family stories and shared history to enrich and transform lives. We are valued as a trusted resource for local history and as an advocate for historic preservation. We promote the relevancy of history to understand issues today.
Office Phone: 508-746-0012
General Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 3773, Plymouth, MA 02361